Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Fire chief: Fatal fire caused by light fixture, bird's nest

May 18, 2017
Associated Press

WEST HURLEY, N.Y. (AP) — Fire officials say a smoky house fire that killed an 89-year-old woman apparently started when a bird's nest was ignited by a hot light fixture.

The fire was reported by a neighbor at 1:30 Thursday morning in the Ulster County town of West Hurley. Fire Chief Dave Gutierrez says firefighters brought the fire under control quickly and found Anna Olsen in her second-floor bedroom overcome by smoke.

Efforts to revive her were unsuccessful. Olsen was pronounced dead at a Kingston medical campus.

Gutierrez says heat from a halogen light on the garage apparently ignited an adjacent bird's nest. Flames melted the siding on the house and charred the garage.

 
 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web